Accessible Page Links


Page Tools

Main page Content

History

The uninterrupted education Feluga students began in 1927 when Feluga Provisional School, as it was then known, opened in the recently constructed Feluga Hall. Only 25 students made that first roll call.

The hall (right) had been built by Feluga residents during the slack of the previous year. As with most cane-growing regions, the 5 or 6 months of cane harvesting is referred to as the season and the rest of the year is the slack.

Some of the older residents of the community still remember the school at the Hall. The Hall remained until 1956 when Cyclone Agnes brushed it away.

In 1934, a new school was built on departmental land just 300 metres down Feluga Road. Originally it was a 2 room building but Feluga State School has been added to over the years.

Nowadays, that original building is part of the administration and library block.

In 1991, a designated Early Childhood Centre was opened and in 1997, B Block, housing 2 classrooms was opened.